The Hulu app comes pre-installed on many Vizio TVs, which is convenient—all you have to do is activate your TV using the instructions on your screen. But there are times when you’ll need to update your app to the latest version in order to make the most of it.
So, without further ado, let’s get started with our 2 main ways to update the Hulu app automatically and manually.
How to Update Hulu App on Vizio TV
As mentioned in a previous article about How to Update An App on Your Vizio Smart TV, there are 2 types of Vizio TV:
- Smartcast TV with built-in apps.
- VIA (Vizio Internet App) TV on which you can install, update, or delete apps on VIA TV or Vizio app store.
In this section, we will go through the updating process on both platforms.
#1. Automatically: On Vizio Smartcast TV
One of the benefits of owning a SmartCast TV is that it will automatically update apps when needed. If there’s an update available for the Hulu app, your Vizio will download and install it without you needing to do anything. The only thing that you need to do is make sure that your TV is connected to Wi-Fi and turned on. Below is how the automatic updating process happen:
- 1. Once the new Hulu app is available, it will be put in-queue for downloading and installing right after the TV is turned off.
- 2. The downloading process will be paused if the TV is turned on during that time. This process will resume when the TV is switched off.
- 3. If the download and installation is done, a notification will pop up to announce the successful update when you turn the TV on again.
#2. Manually: On Vizio Smart TV (VIA)
Another way to update the Hulu app on your Vizio smart TV is by using the "Check for Updates" option. You can follow these steps to ensure that your Hulu App is updated to the latest version:
- Step 1. Press the VIA button on your remote and use the arrow keys to select Apps.
- Step 2. On the bottom-left of the screen, select Check for Updates. If an update is available, you’ll see a message notifying you that an update is available. Select Update > OK to begin updating your app.
- Step 3. If the Update isn’t available, you can choose to reinstall the app to get its latest version. In order to do this, select Delete App instead of Update, then OK.
- Step 4. Once the download is complete, you’ll be prompted to install it before moving on. Select Install Now and wait until you receive a message that says The installation was successful before closing out of the window. You will then be able to launch Hulu and start streaming again!
3 Alternatives to Hulu App
Chances are, you will not be able to access the Hulu app in its present form after a while because it is an old version that is either no longer supported or no longer receiving updates. When this happens, your only choice is either getting rid of it altogether or replacing it with something more current.
The good news is there are many other options available which give you access to your favorite shows without having to worry about whether Hulu supports them anymore. Below are top 3 options:
The main alternative to Hulu is Netflix. This app offers a similar range of content, but with fewer delays in loading times and more features such as being able to rate programs based on how much you like them.
2. Amazon Prime Video
Another alternative would be Amazon Prime Video which has similar functionality including the ability to stream from multiple devices simultaneously without experiencing any lag time between episodes or movies loading up on each device.
3. PlayStation Vue
This app is also a good option to consider which offers live TV streaming services with over 75 channels including local channels such as ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX for only $39.99 per month, which makes it one of the most affordable options out there right now.
Above are two simple methods for updating the Hulu app on your Vizio smart TV, and 3 alternatives for Hulu app if you are looking for alternatives to Hulu app on Vizio TV. We hope this article will make the updating process easier and smoother. If you have any better suggestions on updating the Hulu app, don’t hesitate to share with us in the comment section below!