Vizio TVs are usually smart TVs, which means they have apps you can install and use. However, unlike a phone or tablet, they don’t update those apps on their own by default. Instead, your Vizio TV checks for updates when it boots up.
So when the latest version of an app like Netflix or Hulu comes out, your Vizio TV can’t use it. This can be frustrating if you’re using an older Vizio TV. So what can you do? In this article, you will learn how to update the apps on your Vizio TV.
Types of Vizio Smart TV?
In order to get a better idea of how to update an app on your Vizio TV, it is important to understand the difference between Vizio Internet Apps TV and Vizio SmartCast TV (VIA).
- Vizio Internet Apps TV: you will need to check for updates periodically. You can do this by connecting your computer to your TV and checking for updates on the Vizio website. The exact steps vary depending on your specific model.
- Vizio SmartCast TV: updating apps can be slightly more difficult. SmartCast TVs don’t have a traditional menu system, they use “apps” to access all your entertainment features like phones or tablets instead. You will need to update the system software through the “System” menu on your television.
How to Update an App on Your Vizio TV
#1. Update on Vizio Smart TV
The apps on your Vizio TV are like the apps on your smartphone. They might have updates available, or you might want to try out a new app that has become available since you purchased your TV. Whatever the reason, updating an app is a simple task and is completely free, so you don’t have to worry about any charges for this.
- Step 1: On your Vizio remote, press the “VIA” button in the bottom row of buttons.
- Step 2: Press the “Down” arrow button on the remote until you reach “App Gallery.“
- Step 3: Press the “OK” button on the remote and navigate to “My Apps.”
- Step 4: Scroll down to find the app that needs updating, and choose the gear icon to go to app settings.
- Step 5: Press the “OK” button on your Vizio remote when you see this icon and then select “Update App.“
After installation is complete, restart your TV and check if updates are installed properly by opening the same app again and checking for updates. If you still see a Check for Updates button, it means that there’s another update available for download and installation.
#2. Update an App on Your Vizio SmartCast TV Platform
The SmartCast TV platform should automatically update the apps on your Vizio smart TV. However, if they aren’t updating automatically, you can manually check for updates or even reset the apps on your Vizio SmartCast TV platform to see if that helps. You can even choose whether or not to display notifications for new app updates in the settings for this feature.
To update the apps using your Vizio smart TV’s built-in software:
- Step 1: Press the V button on your remote control to open your Vizio smart TV’s VIA Plus menu screen.
- Step 2: Navigate to Settings > System > Check for Updates
- Step 3: Select Check Now if there are updates available for any of your apps. If there aren’t any updates available, then select Not Now instead.
- Step 4: The system will take care of the rest and automatically update everything as needed.
Why Can’t You Update an App on Your Vizio TV?
This is a common issue for Vizio Smart TVs. There are three primary reasons why an app might not update on your Vizio TV.
- The first is that the app developer has decided to stop supporting your version of the app.
- The second is that it’s likely because your TV is running an older version of its firmware (the software that makes the TV work).
- Final reason is that app availability may vary depending on the country and TV series. A few apps may not be available or may be available as it all depends on your region and TV Model.
So, you have now learned two good ways to update your apps on the Vizio Smart TV. Although it isn’t as simple as downloading updates from the Play Store or sideloading apps since Vizio TVs don’t run Android TV OS, we hope this guide has helped you learn how to update apps on your Vizio Smart TV!