The Bluetooth function of Sony PlayStation 4 allows you to pair a set of headphones with the PS4, which is great if you want to enjoy late night gaming sessions without disturbing everyone around you. It’s also great for those who prefer to use their own headphones, or even a headset that they already own.
But not all Bluetooth headphones are made equal, and while most will work with the PS4, there are limitations in place that might make it difficult to get them properly set up and working properly.
So what are your options? We’ve listed down a number of different numbers to consider when choosing the best headphones, and our top 5 headphones that work with the PS4. Let’s read on to find out.
3 Things to Consider When Choosing the Best Headphones for the PS4
There are a lot of factors to consider when choosing what headphones to use with your PS4, and finding quality PS4 headsets has never been easier. Below are some typical factors to have a look at.
Surround Sound and Noise-Canceling Function
If you’re someone who is constantly running around with your PS4 headset, it’s important that the noise-canceling technology is good. This is especially true if you’re trying to use the headset in different environments (such as at work or in a noisy home). If you want an option that can do both–wirelessly connect with a wired unit–a noise-canceling headset will offer more versatility.
Comfort – The right fit
A good fit can make all the difference between how comfortable your headsets are. Be sure that the earpiece fits snugly into your ear, and that it doesn’t feel overly loose or tight when worn. If you don’t have a large head, it’s generally considered better to get headphones without an over-the-ear piece—it can make it harder to hear from specific directions, but this may not always be necessary depending on how close you need to be able to hear.
Comfort is also essential when deciding which type of headset will suit your needs best. If you often find yourself using your headset for long periods of time, then a lightweight headset will work best–especially if you’re using them at home or at work where there’s little movement. However, if you want something durable and comfortable enough not to put too much stress on your ears, then you may prefer an over-the-ear option designed specifically for longer use.
Chances are, you play a multi-players game that requires communication, discussion and teamwork. Thus, it’d be better if the Bluetooth headphones have a high quality sound as well as a high-quality microphone so that you can talk with other gamers.
5 Bluetooth Headphones that Work Best with the PS4
Now that we’ve covered what makes the best headphones for PS4 and PS4 Pro, let’s take a look at the five models we’ve selected.
Although it was released almost several years ago, the Sony Gold Wireless Headset remains a fantastic choice for those who want a budget-friendly PS4 headset that doesn’t skimp on features or quality.
- It’s wireless (but can be used wired)
- It has 7.1 virtual surround sound support alongside dual mics that cancel out ambient noise when you’re talking to friends online
- Plus, it comes in at less than $100!
This makes it an easy recommendation if you’re looking for something premium but don’t want to break the bank on buying a new set of cans today.
The Sony XB950B1 has a ton of features at a good price point.
- It has noise-canceling built in, so you’ll never have to worry about hearing outside noises while gaming or watching movies on your PS4 (or even while at work).
- Plus it comes with a remote control that has an interactive OLED display, so you can see everything happening on your PS4 without having to take your eyes off the action.
- It also comes with a microphone that lets you talk directly into your phone or other device for real-time game chat as well as voice-activated playback, so you can pause and rewind without ever picking up the controller.
This wireless headset from JVC is great for casual gamers who want crystal clear sound with minimal distraction from outside distractions.
- It comes with noise-canceling technology, so you won’t have to keep adjusting the volume if someone’s talking in another room while you’re playing (a problem we’ve all dealt with).
- It also can be used as wired headphones thanks to its 3.5 mm jack, which means you’ll never have an issue connecting your device when you’re away from your PS4.
- It also has a comfortable, lightweight design with soft padding and a long battery life of up to 42 hours, which allows you to wear and play games for hours without hurting your heads and neck.
What’s next, Skullcandy makes some great gaming-related headphones, which include the Level Up Wireless 2 Headphones. The level up series was designed with gaming in mind—they were built specifically with headsets and gamers in mind, making them compatible with PS3 and PS4.
- The noise-cancellation technology keeps out outside noise while also maintaining incredible sound quality.
- The adjustable headband and ear cups, along with soft-touch materials and plush pads, make them comfortable to wear for hours and even fit different sized heads.
- The Level Up Wireless 2 Headphones come in five bold colors and feature a built-in mic and remote so you can take calls on the go without having your phone nearby.
- They are lightweight, which is ideal for long gaming sessions, as well as easy-to-use controls that let you adjust volume, skip songs or answer/hang up calls from your headphones.
The best PS4 headset we’ve tested so far is the SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless.
- They have an incredibly versatile wireless design that offers multiple connection options, including both Bluetooth and a 2.4 GHz USB wireless dongle for your PC or PS4.
- They also have a detachable boom microphone that delivers clear audio for online chat, plus two retractable mics on either ear cup for noise-canceling and ambient noise monitoring.
How to Pair PS4 with Bluetooth Headphones
The PS4 works with any pair of standard Bluetooth headphones, so there’s no need to shell out extra cash on a dedicated pair of gaming headphones. Using Bluetooth not only means that you can enjoy the freedom of wireless headphones, but you can also chat away to your friends thanks to the PS4’s built-in microphone.
When setting up your headset, make sure you follow these steps:
- Step 1: Put your headphones into pairing mode by holding down the power button until the light starts flashing.
- Step 2: On your PS4, go to Settings > Accessories > Bluetooth Devices and select “Register New Device.”
- Step 3: Select your headphones when they appear on-screen.
- Step 4: Press the PS button and select “Adjust Devices.”
- Step 5: Select “Output Device” and choose “Headset Connected to Controller.“
- Step 6: Choose “All Audio” if you want game audio, chat audio and system sounds all sent to your headphones. Otherwise, use one of the other options depending on what you want sent through them.
- Step 7: The final step is to make sure that your headset is set as the default input device for voice chat. You can do this by going to Settings > Devices > Audio Devices and making sure that “Output Device” is set as Default.
There is no single pair of headphones that meets everyone’s needs. Some people prefer in-ear earbuds while others want over-the-ear headphones. Some want noise cancellation while others prefer open-back designs. Some want pure sound quality while others want features like touch controls and built-in microphones.
The most important thing you can do when shopping for headphones is deciding what features are most important to you. You should also consider what type of music or games you plan on listening to, as well as how often you will be using them and where you will be using them.
We hope you find our article helpful in finding which Bluetooth headphones work best with your PS4. If you have any other questions about PS4 headphones pairing, let us know in the comment section below!