The PS5 is a great console, but it’s not perfect. One major issue that some owners have been reporting is that the PS5 is turning on by itself. It’s a frustrating problem to say the least, especially if you wake up in the middle of the night only to find that your console has been turned on for hours without you knowing what’s going on.
Thankfully, there’s a way to fix this issue. If your PS5 is turning on by itself, and you want to stop it from happening, check out our guide below on how to disable remote play.
Why Does My PS5 Turn On by Itself?
There are several explanations for why your PS5 might turn itself on spontaneously, including:
- A game or app is automatically downloading/installing or updating in Rest Mode.
- Another reason that causes the console to wake up without your input when it receives a notification such as voice commands or remote play from another device.
- If your PS4 is connected to a sensor device that sends signals that trigger the console to turn on (like a Harmony Hub remote).
4 Ways to Stop PS5 from Turning On by Itself
Fortunately, there are a few different ways to disable this feature, so it doesn’t annoy you or your family members.
Method #1. Make sure your PS5 is up-to-date.
The first thing you should do is make sure your PS5 has been fully updated. This may seem like a given for any electronic device, but sometimes updates can slip through the cracks. To check for an update, go to Settings and then System Software Update. If an update is available, install it immediately.
Method #2. Turn off the Rest Mode Setting.
Next, take a look at your settings to ensure that nothing is set up to automatically turn on your PS5. Here are some steps you can take:
- Step 1. First, go to Settings and select System (the first choice).
- Step 2. Select Power Saving Settings (second choice).
- Step 3. Select Set Features Available in Rest Mode (third choice) and hit the X button twice to get to the section that lets you choose what features you want active while in Rest Mode.
- Step 4. Uncheck the box that says Stay Connected to the Internet (fourth choice), which will stop your PS5 from automatically turning itself on every so often to check for updates.
Method #3. Turn off the Voice Operation Control.
The PS5 has a feature that allows you to turn on the console by simply saying “PlayStation”. This feature is incredibly convenient but can also be annoying if you have a smart speaker like an Amazon Echo nearby. Below are the steps to stop your PS5 from turning on itself.
- Step 1: Open the Settings app and select “System” from the menu.
- Step 2: Select “Enable Voice Operation” in order to turn off the ability for the PS5 to respond to voice commands from other devices such as smartphones or tablets.
- Step 3: Uncheck “Enable Hands-Free Mode” if you don’t want your PS5 to automatically turn on when it hears its name spoken by someone else with a smart speaker nearby (for example, if someone says “PlayStation” while using Alexa).
- Step 4: Scroll down and uncheck “Automatically Turn On Your PS5 When You Say “Hello PlayStation!” You can also disable this feature in case someone else says it nearby (for example, if they say hello when using Alexa). The same goes for any word that sounds like “Hello PlayStation!”.
Method #4. Unplug the HDMI Device Link.
If the PS5 is connected to your TV with an HDMI cable and the TV is off, the console will attempt to turn on your TV and console every time you press the power button on your controller. You can take these steps to disable the HDMI link:
- Step 1: Under the PS5 Dashboard, select Settings.
- Step 2: Choose System > then HDMI from the list.
- Step 3: Toggle off the “Enable HDMI Device Link” option and then done!
Another way to get it to stop is by disconnecting it from power completely or unplugging the HDMI cable.
Above are four simple ways to stop your PS5 from turning on by itself or randomly turning off without factory resetting your consoles. We hope you find this article helpful in avoiding your PS5 turning itself on at random times. If you are still facing this issue, you might need to seek help from the PS5 technician team to see if there are any problems with the hardware or software of your gaming console. We’ve also covered a list of Best Bluetooth Speakers for Xbox One and Top Bluetooth Headphones For PS4 which you may find interesting to read.