If you’re looking for a way to connect multiple Bluetooth speakers together, then you aren’t the first. People have been asking about this for a long time and there are different ways to do it. There are several reasons why some people want to connect multiple Bluetooth speakers together, including a party, a wedding, or simply because you want your music to sound better.
Connecting multiple Bluetooth devices is possible, but not an easy task as it sounds, because Apple devices don’t have these features. But, we have some tricks that can help you to do so by using Bluetooth, the HomePod Stereo Pair, or some third party apps. Let’s find out these methods in this article.
3 Methods to Connect Multiple Speakers to an iPhone
It’s true, you can only connect one Bluetooth accessory to your iPhone at a time. But there are a few tricks we can use to get around this limitation and share audio from multiple Bluetooth devices at once.
Method #1. Using Bluetooth 5.0
Bluetooth 5.0 is the latest Bluetooth standard, and it offers a handful of advantages over its predecessor, Bluetooth 4.2. It supports a greater number of simultaneous connections between devices, which means you can connect to more than one set of headphones or speakers without having to use a hub or splitter.
Let’s say you have two JBL Flip 4 speakers and a Sony XB40 speaker, all of which support Bluetooth 5.0. You want to play music from your iPhone through these three speakers simultaneously. Here is how to do it:
- Step 1: Make sure that all your Bluetooth speakers are turned on and in pairing mode. To do this, refer to the user manual for each speaker, since their pairing mode may be different. For example, on the JBL Flip 4, press the Bluetooth button until you hear the sound “Connected”. For the Sony XB40, press the Volume Up button until the LED flashes red and blue alternately.
- Step 2: Connect to the first speaker via Bluetooth (in our example, one of the JBL Flip 4s). Go to Settings > Bluetooth and tap on the name of your first speaker under ‘Other Devices’ (for JBL Flip 4s, this will be ‘JBL Flip 4-XXXX’).
- Step 3: Now tap and hold on your first speaker in the list of connected devices under My Devices until a menu pops up with the ‘Disconnect’ option selected by default.
- Step 4: Repeat steps 2 and 3 for each speaker individually until all speakers appear in the settings menu as connected devices.
- Step 5: Open Apple Music app, Spotify or any other music app that supports a multi-speaker option, and start playing music/videos/podcasts on your iPhone as usual. You will see an AirPlay icon in the app, which means that you can select multiple Bluetooth speakers at the same time.
Method #2. Using Applications
It’s not easy to connect multiple Bluetooth speakers to an iPhone because of the limitations of Bluetooth. The only way to do that is to have a special app (such as Bose Connect, AmpMe, or Ultimate Ears) that can synchronize the speakers. The most popular app is called AmpMe. It helps to synchronize multiple Bluetooth speakers and play music from your iPhone. Here’s how:
- Step 1. Download and install the AmpMe App on your iPhone.
- Step 2. Launch it, tap Search, and enter your location. The app will display all nearby Bluetooth speakers that you can connect to.
- Step 3. Tap the name of any speaker you want to connect and then tap Connect. Once connected, the speaker will appear under Remote Speakers in the app’s main screen.
- Step 4. Tap Add Another Speaker and repeat steps 2-3 until you have added all the speakers you want to connect with your iPhone using Bluetooth connection.
- Step 5. Play some music on your iPhone using any app like Apple Music, YouTube, SoundCloud, Deezer and Spotify, and it will be played out loud through all the connected speakers simultaneously for a multi-speaker sound system experience in your home or office.
It’s not perfect, but it works reasonably well if your friends all have iPhones, and it has some other neat features too.
Method #3. Using HomePod Stereo Pair
One of the best things about HomePod speakers is that they can be used to create a stereo pair with another HomePod or other AirPlay 2 supported speakers. So, if you have multiple HomePods, you can connect them with your iPhone and enjoy the high-quality audio. To get started, all you need is the latest version of iOS and the latest version of tvOS.
To connect multiple Bluetooth speakers to iPhone using Apple’s HomePod Stereo Pair, simply following these steps:
- Step 1: To begin, simply open the Home app on your iPhone and make sure that your device is running on iOS 11.2 or later.
- Step 2: Next up, place your HomePod speakers in any room and add them to the Home app. Once done, you can choose from three ways to connect multiple Bluetooth speakers to your iPhone.
- Step 3: The first method allows you to use only two HomePods or one HomePod and another AirPlay 2-enabled speaker. Simply tap and hold on either of the two speakers under Home > Room > Speakers and select Create Stereo Pair option from the available options.
- Step 4: Now, repeat the same step for another speaker too (this will connect all Bluetooth speakers). That’s it!
The fact is, you can connect multiple Bluetooth speakers to your iPhone, but there are limitations and restrictions. Thus, beside understanding these limitations, you also need to do a little extra research on which speakers are compatible with your iPhone. We’ve also compiled a list of Top Bluetooth Headphones For PS4 and Best Bluetooth Speakers for Xbox One which you may find interesting to read.