Texting has become a common way to communicate, but when you’re sending messages to people you don’t know well, it’s important to use caution. In this digital age, our privacy is constantly being invaded. Whether it’s through social media or just daily life, it seems like our information is always out there for the world to see. So how can we take back some control?
In this blog post, we’ll explore how to hide your number in text messaging. This way, you can have a little more control over who has your information and how they use it. Let’s get started!
Why Should You Hide Your Number?
Have you ever been in a situation where you don’t want the person you’re texting to have your phone number?
- Online shopping: when you want to make a one-off purchase and don’t want to receive any marketing follow-up calls or text messages.
- Online dating: maybe you’re trying to date someone and don’t want them to be able to contact you outside the app, or maybe you just don’t feel like giving out your number.
- Social groups and associations: you don’t want to receive spams from public social groups,
Pros and Cons of Hiding Your Number When Texting
When you are texting, should you hide your number? There are benefits and drawbacks to both options, so it is important to understand them before deciding what is best for you.
- Hiding your number keeps people from getting your contact information, but it can also make it more difficult to stay in touch with people.
- Revealing your number makes it easy for people to text you, but also leaves you open to spam texts or calls.
Ultimately, the decision on whether to hide or reveal your number comes down to what works best for you.
If you want to keep your phone number private when texting, there are a few ways you can do it. You can use a temporary or disposable phone number, or you can block your number from showing up on the recipient’s phone. Read on to learn how to hide your number in text messaging.
Method #1: Use Phone Default Privacy Setting.
It’s easy to hide your phone number in text messaging, and it can be a useful privacy setting. Here’s how to do it on your iPhone or Android device.
#1. How to hide your number on an iPhone
- Step 1: Open the Settings.
- Step 2: Select Messages.
- Step 3: Scroll down and select Show My Caller ID.
- Step 4: Toggle the switch next to Show My Caller ID to OFF/white.
#2. How to hide your number on an Android
- Step 1: Open the Phone app.
- Step 2: Tap the Menu icon (three dots) in the top right corner of the screen.
- Step 3: Select Settings from the menu that appears.
- Step 4: Tap More Settings, then scroll down and tap Show My Caller ID under the Identification section.
- Step 5: Finally, toggle OFF “Show Number”.
Method #2: Use an Anonymous Texting Website
Trying an anonymous texting website might be your second workaround if you don’t feel like playing around with your phone settings. Two popular texting websites you can consider are:
You can follow these simple steps to send a text message using these websites:
- Step 1: Access the texting website
- Step 2: Enter the recipient’s phone number
- Step 3: Enter your email address (optional) on Textsendr or select how you want the sender to appear (US/UK phone number or Anonymous).
- Step 4: Enter the text message Hit Send.
This method is not ideal for being a long-term option. Also, the texting fee isn’t that cheap: it costs about $1.25 for a text message below 160 characters, the fee will be higher for longer texts. If you want to send only one private text, then you can consider using these websites. If you intend to have longer conversations, then the next method would be your option.
Method #3: Get a Temporary Number
Getting a second disposal number from a burner app will be the best way for those who want to keep your real number completely private, while continuing the conversations smoothly and at low cost.
Burner app allows phone users to create a second alter phone number for your privacy protecting purposes while traveling, for business projects, or for dating profiles.
Using these apps, you don’t need to go out to physical stores for additional SIM cards or sending text messages through a website. You can just send text messages on your own phones. There are several apps out there on the market that you can take into consideration such as: Burner, Hushed, or Textfree.
There are several ways to keep your phone number private while texting: hide your called ID, use an anonymous texting website, or create a disposal number using a third party texting app.
We hope that by the end of this post, you should have a good understanding of how to hide your number in text messaging. If you have other methods on how to hide your phone number in a text message, don’t hesitate to share with us in the comment section below!